Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lasuni Peas-Palak

I Love... Greens...

I remember my childhood days when my mom used to run behind me to eat green vegetables.I used to hate palak, methi and other leafy vegetables as they are stringent in taste.Mom used to make parothas puris or used to mix in some rice or would do something ...she used to try her level best so that at least some part goes in my stomach....but now time has changed.I have started loving palak very much as I grew.Because now I realized the hidden truth about why my parents were behind me  and were forcing me to eat green veggies...so here's answer for you all..

Spinach or indian palak needs no introduction  as it is the first edible green about which a child learns. Thanks to Popeye!

Palak being full of nutrients, no mother rich or poor would want her child to miss on it. It contains Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, magnesium, folic acid, manganese, iron, calcium, fibre, copper, protein, phosphorous, zinc, omeg-3 fats, niacin selenium and oxalate.

Consumption of spinach helps in—
Preventing cancer.
Forming strong bones and teeth.
A healthy heart due to it’s anti-oxidant properties.
Osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
Rheumatoid arthritis.
Reducing the frequency of migraine.
Preventing muscular degeneration.
Night blindness improves eye-sight.
Controlling blood pressure.
As very good laxative due to the fibre content. It also prevents constipation.
As a good source of folic acid for the pregnant women.

Now I am a big palak fan and love preparing and experimenting lot many different dishes with palak..seeing this beautiful theme I deceided I will make something out of palak only as it is easily available in large quantities here in USA..Iam always behind it to finish in some or the other way...from refrigerator as it pains me a lot if it gets decayed and wasted....so here's my contribution to the event-Dish name starts with L- hosted by Akila


Now that you are aware of its benefits try to incorporate it in your diet.Here's recipe you can try out with respect to palak...Iam sure you will all like it......

LASUNI PEAS-PALAK




Ingredients:
1 entire bunch of spinach
1 cup lentil curry(cooked Toor dal)
1 tbsp Rice flour
1/4th tsp Cumin seeds
3-4 Green chilles
handful of cooked peas.

For making Tadka:
1 tbsp Oil
A pinch of asafoetida
8-10 Garlic
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3-4 Red mirchi
Method:
1.Cut palak finely and wash it thoroughly under running water.
2.Cook spinach on heat in a pan without adding oil or water at all.
3.Within very few minutes automatically it starts cooking and water starts releasing from leaves.
4.Finally without adding water also it is cooked well and leaves become soft textured.Crush those leaves finely with spoon.
5.In between while it gets cooked add few cumin seeds along with few finely chopped green chilles.
6.When palak is cooked completely... add cooked toor dal(varan) mixed with 2 cups of water to it.
7.Allow it to boil for few minutes.
8.Mix rice flour in small quantity of water and pour that mixture in cooked vegetable.
9.Mix it thoroughly.Now add cooked peas to it.
10.When it appears to be thick place it in another vessel.
11.Now prepare tadka or tempering in Oil with the addition of asafoetida,cumin seeds,mustard seeds,turmeric,crushed garlic pieces and red chillies.
12.When garlic turns red or brown add this hot tadka on vegetable...when u will hear sound as suuuurrrrrrrrrr ...then its done.

The flavour of lasun or garlic tastes so nicely that you will surely enjoy it as an weekend menu....

1 comment:

  1. wow that was a healthy recipe.. thanks a lot for sending to my event dear...

    Regrds,
    Akila

    ReplyDelete