Thursday, June 21, 2012

Leftover Rice Fritters........


There are times when hubby calls from office and tells me he’s very very hungry. At such times, I make the normal mediocre snacks such as pohe, upma, etc. This week I was bored of eating the same old stuff. I was longing to try something new. That’s when I thought of this fantastic recipe mostly prepared by my mom....

Rice is a very staple diet for people in any region, be it Asia, USA or Europe. The beauty of these grains is that they can be cooked and savoured in various forms. Eat it alone, or combine with other ingredients to make a delicious meal! Easy to cook, easy to eat, and equally easy to use the leftover rice to make something unique the next day! I wonder what we'd ever do if it were not for RICE!! Its the perfect saviour when you are in a hurry and need to cook something really fast....and above my very very favourite one! I just cant live without rice!I remember everytime me and my sis would often ask our mom to cook more rice so that leftover can be used to make these tasty fritters...

My mom was expert making leftover wonders...she used to prepare thalipeeth-famous maharashtrian dish which I miss in USA using leftover curry,any sabzi,dal or amti,Then next day she would make fodanichi poli or chapatis spicy fritters if chapati is leftover also fodanicha bhaat with leftover rice or bhatache sandge...and lot more variety of tikkis from leftover veggies and list goes on...This event motivated me to try this dish which is very tasty and filling...Here you can increase or decrease the veggies you love so also spice content can be modified or adjusted according to your taste.

LEFTOVER RICE FRITTERS 




Here is what I used for making fritters:
1 cup Cooked rice
2 Spring onions
few pieces of capsicum finely chopped
1/2 potato grated
few pieces of cabbage finely chopped
3-4 tbsp of chickpea flour (besan) or as required
1 tsp of ajwain (carom) seeds
1/2 cup thick yogurt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp grated ginger
salt as per taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilly powder or green chilles
Oil for frying

How I made it:
1.Mix the cooked rice and the yogurt and keep aside.
2.Add chopped veggies, spices and the baking soda to the rice mixture and mix well.
3.Slowly add the besan, as required and mix to break the lumps and form a nice thick blend that can be held between your fingers without any of it dripping below. It should not drip, yet it should not be hard enough to be rolled into balls.
4.Now heat the oil in a wok or pan. Drop a small amount of the mix into the oil. If it comes up instantaneously, your oil has reached the perfect required temperature.
5.Lower the flame a bit and gently drop small balls of the rice mixture into the wok with your hand. Be careful as to not lower your hands very close to the oil. The oil might splutter a little, so stay far from the stove. Now let these fritters be cooked till they are golden brown on all sides. Turn them over using a long-handled ladle.
6.Remove from oil and place on a tissue paper to soak excess oil. There, your delicious fritters are ready!!

They can be excellent appetizers for your party. Serve them with the Green Cilantro Chutney, ketchup or any of your favourite dipping sauce!!

Hubby came home when my photo session was in progress....Everyday after cuming home he peeps in kitchen and look for new experiment..Today toh he was badly hungry ..so he looked for food in kitchen and whispered arey bapre what am I going to get to eat today.?..To the surprise, when he tasted the bhajji  he loved them....

I asked him to guess of what they were made of. But he was unable to guess!
We just love these spicy and tasty bhajiyas, and hope you enjoy them too!

These bhajjis come over to you Monica at Smarter Fritter and Helen's Breakfast club...Amazing Idea Dear...Loved It a lot! very creative one!


1 comment: