Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mexican style red beans curry...

To all my readers: A big THANKS for visiting FOOD FRENZY. I started blogging in the month of march and put up a site meter towards april end . Counting from that day and including my own visits, it crossed up to 3,000 visitors. Thanks to all my friends, family, blog friends, and readers. Your comments and visits encourage me a lot!

Since a long time, I wanted to change the look of my blog. I am not happy with the initial look  and also was not getting any good one among the templates that Blogger offers.But I had to chose one among them...I will surely try to figure out my own design while experimenting with HTML codes.Till then you will need to bear this newly chosen design with me..I added a new background image, changed the template format.Do let me know how you find the new look. I tend to use too many colors sometimes. So, any kind of feedback is appreciated:)

Chipotle-is one of the first Mexican restaurants meals I tasted in New-york.From that day I have become fan of mexican cuisine....Beans (black beans or pinto beans or kidney beans or red beans) are widely used in Mexican cuisine, either in the form of curry or without the curry (dry) or sometimes just boiled version.

Coming from India it reminds me of Rajma Chawal (Red kidney beans curry with Rice) which is a staple food in northern region.To tell you frankly, me and my husband both disliked this rajma when we were in India but now after coming to USA and after trying this mexican cuisine we both have started loving it... I was excited to come across the Mexican curry version of it that I got to review on internet from one of my blogger friend. These mexican beans are similar to rajma yet unique in their own ways.

This mexican style Red beans curry is very similar to the way you would make Rajma curry except the peculiar combination of Indian spices that differentiates the two. It is definitely a good alternative to regular version whenever you feel like having Rajma in the Mexican way or when you feel like preparing any mexican dish at home.

MEXICAN STYLE RED BEANS CURRY



Ingredients:1 cup red beans or entire tin of soaked beans that you get readymade in the market
1 medium sized onion finely chopped-preferably red onion
2 bay leaves
1&1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Coriander for garnishing

Method:1.Soak the beans overnight or for 8 hours. Omit this step if you are using soaked beans from tin.
2.Now boil/cook these soaked beans with some salt & water (around 4 cups) in a pressure cooker or large vessel till they are soft.
3.Test by pressing it with a spoon on one the beans - it should get mashed easily. Drain the beans. You may want to keep this drained water & use later to adjust the gravy consistency.
4.If using tin packed soaked beans proceed as per directions mentioned on the tin while cooking or boiling these beans.
5.Heat Oil in a pan, once hot add bay leaves & onion. Saute till onions are translucent
6.Add garlic & cook for 2 mins till the raw flavor of garlic disappears.
7.Add red chilli powder,cumin powder, oregano, salt & mix.
8.Now add the cooked beans, mix well. Add the water (used for cooking the beans) to adjust the consistency as desired.
9.Simmer on low to medium flame for 15-20 mins.
10.Our Red Beans curry is ready!! Garnish with coriander or sour cream & serve hot with Rice or any bread of your choice.

Do try this alternative to Rajma & tell me did you liked it?

Happy Cooking!!
supriya

Very happy to link this recipe to event Show me your HITS-Legumes and lentils...a wonderful event hosted by Nalini


and secondly to the amazing event- Cooking with seeds-Red Kidney beans....guest hosted by Raddhima and event by Priya...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking it to CWS event... :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice and delicious soup,looks healthy...thanks for linking to the event..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutritious and protein packed curry..loving it.

    ReplyDelete